The Learning Strategies Department is responsible for ensuring that Tonbridge School is an educationally inclusive environment where the teaching and learning, achievements, attitudes and well-being of every pupil matter. Teaching and provision delivered by the LS Department is designed to meet the needs of pupils, including those with physical disabilities, those with special educational needs (including social, emotional and mental health needs), those from all cultural backgrounds and pupils with English as an additional language.
Pupils may have additional needs at different times and therefore a wide variety of strategies are used to meet these needs as they arise. Learning diversity is recognised and planned for, any barriers to learning and participation are challenged and removed where possible and all pupils are provided with equality of opportunity.
The Learning Strategies Department is located on the Lower Ground Floor of the new Smythe Library and parents are welcome to get in touch or arrange a visit.
Teaching and intervention work by the Learning Strategies Department is delivered across all year groups and may include:
- One-to-one lessons
- Collaborative learning lessons
- Subject-specific workshops and study skills / revision clinics
- Intervention lessons delivered to whole classes at the request of other academic departments
- Pastoral support system for mid and end of year exams
- The Learning Mentor scheme, designed to support dyslexic and other SEND learners through training in core skills to support primary and prep school pupils with specific learning needs
- Study Skills support for all boys from LS teachers and experienced Upper School Learning Mentors
- The Learning 2 Learn Course, a comprehensive bespoke Tonbridge study skills course for all Novi in their first term
- A science-focused Learning 2 Learn Course for all 3rd year boys studying the Dual Science Programme
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills Programme for all Novi during Michaelmas Term
- Assessment for Access Arrangements for public examinations