A seminar programme in the Third and Lower Sixth years aims to foster and deepen interest and understanding in philosophical, political, ethical, scientific and artistic issues that lie beyond, yet underpin, academic study.
The emphasis on that those involved should not merely 'receive' information, but rather articulate their responses in 'question and answer' or small group discussion sessions. Active participation might involve the following:
- a revision of previously held beliefs in the light of fresh evidence and experience
- a tolerance of opposing viewpoints
- a questioning of assumptions and presuppositions
- a respect and empathy for others
- an awareness of differing needs
Recent seminar topics have included:
- Art - What's it worth?
- Sustainability in Business
- Internet use and abuse
- Drug awareness
- Organ transplants
- Working with disabled children