Tonbridge School has been working in partnership with The Marsh Academy as one of its sponsors since June 2006.
The Marsh Academy is a non-selective state school in New Romney in East Kent. We aim to bring our expertise and reputation to lend positive impetus to its academic and co-curricular work. Our aim is to establish a true partnership, a genuine two-way relationship based on mutual trust and support. This will enable many of our staff to develop their skills and experience in a different context. From the beginning we have emphasized the importance of human relationships. All the work we do with the Academy is developed from face-to-face contact identifying areas in which we can use our skills to help the Academy realise the potential of its students. Many Tonbridge staff have already have the experience of working with the Academy and many Marsh students have visited Tonbridge for study days. We have achieved much, but are constantly re-evaluating and developing our role reflecting the needs of our partner school.
Some of the main areas in which we are involved include:
- Regular academic support and teaching in key subject areas such as Mathematics, Science or English.
- The running of Study Days at Tonbridge for Marsh students. These days include academic sessions, but also the opportunity for pupils from the two schools to meet socially over lunch in the houses.
- The development of an e-mentoring scheme through which Tonbridge boys can provide academic help and support to Marsh students.
- The creation of a GAP year placements for two recent OTs to spend a term working at The Marsh Academy.
- Help and support from the Bursar.
- The Headmaster sits on the governing body of the Academy.
Learn more about The Marsh Academy