Tonbridge boys made their mark on the international stage in the Trinity Maths Competition (Winter 2022), with one team coming top in the UK and with other teams also achieving highly impressive results.
There were 170 competing teams, representing six countries, in this annual online competition which tests students’ problem-solving abilities. Nine teams from Tonbridge participated, which was the second largest from a single school.
The School’s highlights included the following:
* Tonbridge Team ‘Bad at Maths’ came 8th overall, out of all 170 teams, and was placed first in the UK;
* Tonbridge Team ‘Sine Me Up’ came 17th overall and 3rd in the UK;
* Tonbridge Team ‘X-Husbands’ came 29th overall and 6th in the UK;
* Three of the School’s teams were therefore placed in the top 50, one more than Tonbridge achieved in the 2020 competition;
* Tonbridge Teams ‘Diverging to Infinity and Beyond’ and ‘e=pi=3’ were also placed in the top 50 per cent, ranking 71st and 79th respectively;
* In total, five School teams were in the top 50 per cent, three more than Tonbridge achieved in the 2020 competition.
These results continue a magnificent run for the Maths Department, following many individual successes in both rounds of the British Maths Olympiad earlier in this academic year.
More details, and a full list of teams, are on the Trinity site.
Full results for Tonbridge teams:
'Bad at Maths'
Ranking: 8th (1st in UK)
'Sine Me Up'
Ranking: 17th (3rd in UK)
Ranking: 29th (6th in UK)
'Diverging to Infinity and Beyond'
'e = pi = 3'
'Zero to Hero'