Barton's Chair is a large-scale permanent installation on display in the central atrium of the new Science Centre, designed by Oxford Biochemistry graduate turned sculptor, Briony Marshall.
It celebrates the achievements of OT chemist, Sir Derek Barton, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1969 for his contributions to the development of ‘conformational analysis’, through which he was able to identify the geometry of Cyclohexane, and various other organic molecules.
The sculpture, which is 8 billion times the life size of the Cyclohexane molecule, re-imagines its structure as a network of adult and child figures, evoking imagery of human connection and cooperation, and commemorating the words of eminent OT author, EM Forster; ‘Only Connect.’
Barton’s Chair is one of five showpiece items now available for sponsorship. To find out more about sponsorship and naming opportunities, contact:
Director of the Tonbridge Society
T: +44 (0) 1732 304253